Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Kurai Onrum Illai

This famous song composed by Rajaji (C. Rajagopalachari) is a favorite among many classical music connoisseurs. It has something to do with the lyrics of the song that is quite distinct from most other carnatic kritis in that it does not exhort the Lord to help and protect us. Instead, it says that the person is content with his worshipping of the Lord inspite of His absence. ‘Kurai Onrum Illai’ means that ‘I have no regrets’. The words in Tamil are very lucid and easy to comprehend by the common man. But the main reason most of us remember this song is because of its soulful rendition by M.S. Subbulakshmi. I believe that she was among the first artists from India to be invited to perform at United Nations in New York in 1966. Here’s where she presented this special composition including a benediction verse in English.

Nowadays, every artiste worth his / her name plays to the audience’ requests for this song. I have heard many sing, and cannot but mention that the MS rendition supercedes all other attempts. If you have heard it, you probably know what I am talking about. When MS sings, it not any more about the language, the words, the raga or the tala alone. She takes you to a plane that’s higher than intellectual or musical satisfaction. You can almost feel the devotion in her voice, the empathy in her tone and purity in her breath. And I didn’t realize this overnight. I remember as a child, my father used to sing praises of her and could talk endlessly about her concerts that he had attended. To me, these conversations were rather repetitive and pointless. I was a student of music and quite diligent at it. Even so, I didn’t quite understand the intricacies involved, the ‘bhavam’ and the rest of it that my father pointed out each time I practiced. Even when I got the opportunity to visit MS at her home in Chennai, to sing in her presence and to seek her and her husband Sadasivam’s blessings, little did I realize my good fortune. She has been bestowed with all the awards and honors that a musician can possibly ask for. But the person I met that day was as simple as can be, with a large heart and unsurpassed humility. Today, I look back at that day, and am filled with pride for having such moments in my life to talk about.

After almost 2 years since her death, to most of her fans, MS amma still lives on. To me, she was the most traditional woman in all respects: in her attire that became representative of her style, in her almost complete submission to her husband and in her single-minded devotion to her craft. Yet, she was a pathbreaker and a pioneer, with mighty ambitions and lofty ideals. She was solely responsible for popularizing the Meera bhajans, the Annamacharya kritis and numerous devotional and religious hymns. Can you imagine any other voice chanting the Venkatesa Suprabhatham every single morning at Tirupati temple and countless homes around the world? I wish I could say otherwise, but the truth is that without her, romba kurai irrukku.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it is nice to read about her and everything u say is so true. i agree wholeheartedly and hats off to her!!!

Thu Aug 31, 08:52:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The song you referred to often moves me whoever sings. CR, as Rajaji was affectionately called is one above many composers. Rajaji and MS association through Sadasivam was part of the glorious years at Kalki garderns in Chennai.
You are right, the song was penned by someone, who never wanted anything for himself in his life and sung by someone, who had given everything to others. I remember the story of a true Bhaktha, who wants to pray and seek his wishes while going to a temple, but in front of the Goddess, as he looks at Her majesty and Her kindness, forgets what he came for. 'Kurai'
is want. To have no 'kurai' is a life of fulfilment and contentment, which both MS and Rajaji lived through.
For some reason, this song in Tamil was added to the collection of Annamyya's kritis in Telugu sung and recorded by MS in a set of LPs, and subsequently in cassettes, the royalty of which was totally assigned to TTD, Tirupati

Thu Aug 31, 11:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My all time favorite song- why didnt you tell me you had written about it?? I heard about the song first from Chari mami, a wonderful and committed lady in Bangalore apt, old only in terms of numbers. The lyrics as you said are more than beautiful, they haunt you, and isn't it the hardest to feel that way about God? We often pretend that we are thankful for everything and dont need anything but secretly wish/ pray for what we want!!!
I have heard the MS version, and I absolutely love the lady- but in my personal opinion only- my aunt sings it the best!!!

Fri Sep 08, 02:38:00 PM  
Blogger The Kid said...

we definitely will miss her. ippo kurai onru ondu...

Sat Sep 09, 02:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home