Sunday, December 02, 2007

Prodigal Artist

Did you ever understand M.F. Hussain's depiction of Madhuri Dixit as a Goddess? No? Neither did I. I thought it created more controversy than spread the message of beauty and art. But I might be wrong. Well, I am no student or sharp connoisseur of the art of painting, so I gladly give Hussainsaab the benefit of doubt.
On the other hand, have you ever, when at an art museum, looked at what might be called abstract art and thought: 'Well, even I could do something like that'? Yes? Well, there is definitely something in there that you probably cannot re-create. I was just reading an article in a London daily (Daily Mail) that put a smile on my face. Its about a 2-year old Freddie Linsky, who started his career in painting at 8 months of age with ketchup (yes!) and has since graduated to using acrylics. He gets tremendous appreciation and encouragement from his mom. He is allowed to mess up his place when he is working on a project. How you wish your mom had allowed you to do that when you were a toddler and not curbed your talents! And guess what, his prodigal work has been selected by a gallery at Berlin for display. I am sure you will enjoy the entire article. Some interesting excerpts of his interview are below.
Freddie is said to favour the "spot and blotch" technique pioneered by the American abstract expressionism movement in the 1950s.
The young artist is said on Saatchi Online to have "dedicated his whole life to art".
His mother wrote: "Freddie W R Linsky paints over and over, making us curious to know what is going on.

5 Comments:

Blogger The Kid said...

If I disagree, this is how I would:

Appreciation of Hussein's particular piece, is not really for what it is, but for his precedence of creative master pieces. "Prior art" in the literal sense, I believe does not correlate, with art's worth. If you really wanted to appreciate it, somehow forget it is Hussein's work and mix it with a million other pieces and then see if it sees light.

As a corollary to giving credit to art because of the creator's popularity, you are ignoring the kid's creation, partly due to his age per se, and partly because you are jealous that it is not you getting all the attention. Your greed is clouding your judgment here :p

Actually I found some of kid's pieces interesting. The kid seems to have a good hand at choosing the shades of colors. Check out his "elephant" and my fav is "The sunrise" (the colors seem to go so well) apparently inspired by Monet.

Wed Dec 05, 05:25:00 AM  
Blogger Ravi Ramaswamy said...

Btw, I did not ignore the kid's creations at all.. no jealousy (??!!) whatsoever. In fact, my title (prodigal artist) hands it to him all the way. I loved the article for the exact same reasons you did (the elephant and sunrise, etc).

"Your greed is clouding your judgment here :p" I really don't get the context of this comment of yours!

Sun Dec 09, 09:16:00 PM  
Blogger The Kid said...

you: "How you wish your mom had allowed you to do that when you were a toddler and not curbed your talents!"

me: "Your greed is clouding your judgment here :p"

you: "no jealousy (??!!) whatsoever."

Wed Dec 12, 01:20:00 PM  
Blogger Ravi Ramaswamy said...

What I am really jealous about is your greed to make a judgment about my intent!

Sat Dec 15, 12:54:00 AM  
Blogger The Kid said...

I am like a sage. I dont make judgments. I like to show people the light of truth! :p

Wed Dec 19, 10:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home